Friday, April 27, 2007

Yau, Muna Hokies ne

Okay so I wasn't planning on writing another blog until just before I left for Paris, but something really interesting happened today, and I wanted to share.

So every Friday I go to work at the museum. I primarily am an apprentice for Idi, but there is another wood carver Conde who I work with too. He speaks some English and likes to listen to the radio in English. Today on the radio there was talk about the recent tragedy at Virginia Tech. He did not understand everything that was said. So, I was explaining what happened. Idi and Conde both got very worried about me and my fellow students. They asked if we knew anyone who was there. They asked if that could happen at our school. They were very concerned about the students at Virginia Tech. I was telling them how the students were getting so much support from the American public, and I told them about how people are saying "We are all Hokies" and wearing the Virginia Tech colors in honor and support. After I told them these things, Conde said that the students have the support of the Nigeriens too. He said that today even the Nigeriens are Hokies.

So, there. It's been really strange to be here and hear about what happened at Vtech. All of the students here have gone about dealing with it in different ways. Some of us were really affected. Others did not seemed to barely notice. I just found it interesting that the artisans that I work with cared so much about American college students in Virginia just because they've worked with American college students here.

I guess it comes to this. During the semester, if there's one thing we have learned - everyone, when it comes down to it, is simply human. Here in Niger poverty and sickness is everywhere, and everyone shares the burden. It was really touching to see Idi and Conde extend that courtesy to me, my fellow students here, and the real Hokies in Virginia.

see you all in a couple weeks... and I'll probably still post just before Paris.

sai an jima
habiba

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Liz, this was a great post. I think you should share it somewhere online with the Virginia Tech communities...maybe even send it in to the Freep? Anyway, hope life is awesome!